Your Rights and Choices
PHIPAA identifies specific rights that individuals have with respect to their personal health information. You have the right, subject to certain limited exceptions, to:
- ask us not to give out your personal health information to other health care providers or other parties, in which case we will not give out this information unless permitted or required by law to do so;
- request to examine or receive a copy of your personal health information. If you wish to view the original record, one of our staff must be present to maintain the integrity of the record. A reasonable fee may be charged for providing a copy. Requests for access to your health record can be made verbally or in writing to the Health Records Department of the health facility or the person in charge of the sector from which you received care (in the absence of a Health Records Department);
- ask us to make corrections to inaccurate or incomplete personal health information;
- designate another person to make decisions about your personal health information;
- file a complaint with the Chief Privacy Officer of Horizon Health Network if you believe your rights have not been respected;
- if you are not satisfied with the response, you may contact the provincial Access to Information and Privacy Commissioner at 506-453-5965 or at 1-877-755-2811.