Horizon Health Network leads the way in bringing innovation and efficiencies to deliver sustainable, affordable, safe and quality health-care services to residents of New Brunswick, northern Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island with a collaborative team approach to offer services in English and French.
It operates 12 hospitals and more than 100 medical facilities, clinics and offices providing medical services ranging from acute care to community based health services. With 1,000 physicians, an annual budget of approximately $1 billion and approximately 12,600 employees, Horizon Health Network's strategic vision focuses on research, innovation, education and health and wellness. Horizon received accreditation status from Accreditation Canada in 2010 and 2013.
Horizon provides major critical and trauma services and is responsible for unique programs such as:
- NB Heart Centre
- NB Organ and Tissue Program
- NB Perinatal Health Program
- NB Stem Cell Transplantation Program
- NB Trauma Program
- Operational Stress Injury Clinic
- Stan Cassidy Centre for Rehabilitation
- Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Unit
Horizon is a leader in research and innovation, and manages a research office which is currently overseeing more than 500 studies.
Horizon has approximately:
Horizon's health-care providers work as a team to support patient goals and successes in various settings including:
- Community Health Centres
- Extra-Mural Programs
- Public Health and Mental Health/Addictions Centres
- A nationally recognized telehealth post surgery home monitoring program
The organization collaborates with a large and diverse Aboriginal population through our First Nations Liaison Committee, which includes 9 First Nations communities. Horizon ensures representation from urban and rural areas through a 15-member Board that consists of 7 appointed and 8 elected members of the public.
Horizon is dedicated to educating the health-care leaders of tomorrow by training physicians, nurses, allied health professionals and other health-care professionals. The organization is home to the Dalhousie New Brunswick Medical Education Program, located in Saint John and delivered in Fredericton, Miramichi, Moncton, Saint John and Waterville. It partners with several local, national and international universities, colleges and academies. Other collaborative education programs include:
- the Predoctoral Internship Program in Psychology, based in the Fredericton Area, accredited with the Canadian Psychological Association.
- the Moncton Hospital Post-graduate Dietetic Internship Program, accredited by Dietitians of Canada.
- the Moncton Hospital School of Radiologic Technology and the Saint John School of Radiological Technology, in partnership with the University of New Brunswick Saint John, as part of the Bachelor of Health Sciences in Radiography.
Horizon is committed to sustaining accessible, high-quality health care for communities it serves.
Thanks to dedicated staff and physicians, a number of initiatives have already shown promising results for cost savings and increased public satisfaction. The organization is proud to report on these accomplishments and will continue to do so as new process improvements are implemented to further strengthen the health-care system.